Wednesday 11 September 2013

Agriculture - a world of opportunity!

Agriculture is an industry that I have always been passionate about and certainly proud to be a part of. In the four years I have had studying a Bachelor of Rural Science at university, I have certainly come across many opportunities that are not only available to students, but to people looking for a career in agriculture as well as people who are already working in the industry. I anticipate these opportunities to become greater as Australian agriculture expands in years to come.

I am at a very exciting time in my life, where I will soon be wrapping up my studies here at the University of New England and I will be facing agriculture head on -with the industry being my chosen career path. I believe that those in my generation who are starting out a career in agriculture are entering the industry at a very exciting time!

My focus within the agricultural industry is centred around beef production and the beef meat industry. My enthusiasm for the industry has stemmed from my family, who are beef producers and butchers on the Mid North Coast of NSW. I have been exposed to agriculture from a very young age and fortunately I have found an industry that I am very passionate about.


Never too early to learn to ride a horse. Right?


There are many opportunities within agriculture for those that are thinking of considering entering the industry as a career path. I myself have taken opportunities to further my career prospects and have found that agriculture can take people many, many places!

One of the places agriculture took me was to the Sydney Royal Easter Show as a State Finalist in The Land Sydney Royal Showgirl Competition in 2010. Watch this space for future blogs about this great experience!

About to ride around the Main Arena in style at the Sydney Royal Easter Show, 2010.

Recently, I applied for the Angus Youth Kansas State University Scholarship. When I saw this advertised, I immediately thought of the wonderful opportunities that there are in agriculture and that this would be a fantastic scholarship to further my knowledge of a major beef player in the world.

Fortunately, I have been selected as one of the top three finalists! The scholarship offers a fantastic opportunity for a beef cattle enthusiast to study for a semester at Kansas State University. To me, it would mean being able to learn first-hand about the American beef industry and of course, beef production on a mass scale. I also see it as a great opportunity to network and build relationships with people involved in the beef industry in the United States.

As part of the selection process I am commencing a blog that will give readers an insight into the mind of a university student that is very excited about entering a career in agriculture. I hope to share this passion by being an advocate for agriculture and sharing with you what it really is about agriculture that makes me tick!

Keep an eye out for my blog as I will be sharing some great ag experiences that I have had thus far, as well as exciting articles or facts that make me all warm and fuzzy about the agricultural industry!




1 comment:

  1. Great start to your blog Georgie! Looking forward to reading more posts!Shell P

    ReplyDelete